Monday, May 24, 2010

Serving Others

I want to start this summer off on the right foot. We've been working very hard on our budget and although we seem to keep having set backs, we continue to press on. I cannot believe how far we've come in such a short time. So now I'd like to start focusing on teaching my girls the value of a dollar. I'm going to be putting Taylor on a little budget. I've learned to separate the money into 3 categories... giving, saving, spending. I'll probably start next week when she is out of school. Something that Jason and I have discussed is getting Taylor to do something for others. Not for money, but for that awesome feeling you get when you give from the heart and expect nothing in return. We are looking for ideas on a place to volunteer or maybe earning money to be given to a charity of some sort. I would love to hear your ideas so I can decide on something soon. I really want my girls to have a sweet giving heart. There's been way too much complaining and ungratefulness over things that they just don't realize are blessings that so many people don't have the opportunity to enjoy. I want to to realize that things are really just things and it's what you have in your heart that really matters. I want people to see Jesus through my little girls.

3 comments:

Cindy Foote said...

I have a couple of ideas about a project she could help us with right now. I'll call you about it.

So proud of you!
Cindy

Kristin Brunell said...

Wow, Becky this is very inspiring! I have been meaning to take Grey with me to feed the homeless or something where he can learn how lucky he is. You are doing a wonderful thing and I would love to join you on your journey!!

The Q family said...

My boys each have boys that we sponsor through Compassion. We tried to pick boys close to their own ages. Each of the boys work to earn part of the money we send each month. They also write/color pictures/and pray for "their" boys. They absolutely love to get letters back from "their" boys. We have each of the boys' pictures hanging up and have learned about the places they are from, what their families do, and the struggles that they face. It is a sacrifice to come up with the money each month, but it is more than just a "service project". They are learning how important it is to invest themselves in the lives of others. It is so important to teach our kids to serve others, there are so many great ways to do that!