Wednesday, February 17, 2010

COTA

That stands for certified occupational therapy assistant. It's what I went to college for. I graduated, passed the cert exam, got my license and never got a job. After much searching, getting married, and moving a couple of times, I decided just to start my life as a stay at home mom. That's what I would have done at some point anyway but it would have been nice to find a job as a COTA. I had pretty much decided that I would just stay at home with my kids for the rest of my life. I didn't keep up with renewing my cert or my license. I regret that now. Times have changed. Money is tight, we have very little put away for the kids future much less ours, a house that needs major work, one vehicle, and you really never know if Jason's job will be here tomorrow. Like so many he has been through the stresses of losing jobs, watching retirement dwindle and savings accounts going down down down. I love my kids. I wouldn't trade the last 6 years for anything but I've been feeling like I need to make a change. I have a degree that could make a big difference in our lives. So after about the millionth time Jason tells me I should look into renewing my license, I finally did. After lots of phone calls, searching the internet and praying I found this out...
1. I have to apply for a cert renewal
2. Pay a couple hundred dollars
3. get 36 hours in PDU's
4. Apply for license renewal
5. Pay $620 in renewal fees
6. Get a job lined up under an OT
7. Get a temporary license
8. Get 750 hours under an OT in less than 1 year
THEN I can can get my perminent license. WHEW! It would have been a lot easier to just renew my license every other year. Several people told me they thought I would have to take the exam again but I found out today that I don't! That is great news! So, I've decided to do it. I've been praying over this decision more than I have prayed over anything recently. Mainly because I'm just not sure I can do it and I'm hoping God will just tell me not to go through with it. So far, it's just the opposite. I've gotten confirmation after confirmation. I know that if this is really what God wants He'll make it all happen but I must admit I am terrified. I've been out of school for almost 11 years!! Who in their right mind will hire me?? No experience and old! Oh well, I'm jumping head first into this and I won't stop until He tells me to. Just in case you feel the urge to pray for me, I'm praying for the right job, facility, and supervisor. I would love to enjoy the job enough to stay there after my 750 hours are done. I'm not looking to work full time. Just around 20 hours a week to help out financially and give me something productive to do. This way I'll be able to still spend time with the girls, go on field trips and stuff like that. I may be terrified but I'm also very excited! I have no idea what to expect but that's what's so exciting about it..the unkown.

4 comments:

julie said...

I'll be praying for you becky! I know you can do it! I know the Lord will guide you and honor your faithfulness! Julie

Pam said...

Becky, you are amazing, not even CLOSE to old, and anyone would be lucky and blessed to have your sparkling personality in their presence. Go for it. My prayers are with and for you!

carissa said...

i wish you all the best!!! do you get paid while working the 750 hours? - i hope so! just remember, if things don't work out, you are privileged because that just means you can be home longer with your girls. i don't know if we'll ever have a savings account again, but God provides in the meantime! : ) i know God will direct you and you will do so well!

eastandwest said...

I've loved watching you follow God's leading on this. I can't wait to see how He provides with the right job, with the right hours and works out the details. The Proverbs 31 woman had a little side job too. :) You'll be able to find the perfect balance for all you hold dear!

And I'd be happy to keep that little Spunky Monkey when you are in a pinch. We don't have any strong-willed girls at my house, you know.